It may sound unrealistic to a point, but SEO and conversion rate optimization can actually double web traffic and e-commerce sales. Although the marketers do not pay to get featured into search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc. and does not need to submit their websites to these search engines, yet it is vital for them to play by the rules laid down by these search engines, especially by Google. Due to this, the SEO experts make use of specific tips and tricks in order to allow the search engines to categorize the websites easily. It is also crucial, as marketers, to understand that the users of the internet make almost 13 billion searches on a monthly basis. Listed below are few such SEO tipsand tricks that are highly suggested and used by the best SEO experts in order to e-commerce sales.
- Making the proper use of ‘content’: In e-commerce marketing, content is considered the silver bullet for SEO, many are unsure about what exactly to put up as their website content and how exactly should they use it in order to boost their e-commerce sales. While talking about web-content, there are two prime types of content:
- Product content and category page content
- Blog content
In general terms, it can be said that the search engines, especially Google prefers websites that contain rich and unique content and is most likely to penalize the sites which have almost no or mediocre content, or the same content that even exists on other websites. Since Google usually prioritizes an updated website with unique and fresh content, often the product and category page content face a backlash due to them being the same usual static content that existed since the advent of the website. Here the one and the only way out is to create and provide rich, unique, and fresh content regularly. New and unique content also acts as a fuel to facilitate social media marketing campaigns and hence are the best way to double website traffic as well as website sales.
- Proper keyword researching: The first step of marketing is to understand the consumer’s psychology and predict their actions. For the products and the web store to be visible to the consumers, it is essential for the marketers to predict what kind of keywords the consumers may use while searching for the type of products their e-commerce site offers. In this scenario, naming the products in accordance with the keywords that are usually and actively used while conducting searches is an ingenious move which can facilitate a boost in the site’s sales.
- Using consumer-friendly URLs: URLs that are optimized for search are more consumer-friendly than that of the URLs that only use a string of variables in an order that is supposedly random to the consumer. Consumer-friendly URLs also have an increased chance of being shared with another friend than a general URL with variable and data codes.
- Manually optimizing the category pages: There are far too many e-commerce websites all over the internet which rarely update their content on the product and category pages. The category pages of such websites are generally filled with a list of image links to the product’s information page. Although linking the images to their respective product information pages is important, yet it is also essential to amalgamate competitive keywords into them so as to optimize their chances of being ranked by the search engines. Having keyword friendly title tags, h1 header tags, an image with descriptive ALT attribute as well as a paragraph of fresh and unique content is the key to boosting sales easily.
- Social media promotions: Almost the entire population of the world exist in the various social media platforms nowadays. For an e-commerce website to be visible to the consumers, posting campaigns on multiple social media platforms is the key solution. Although only promotion is not very helpful when it comes to the boosting of sales, engaging the consumers is crucial as that is exactly how a brand builds a personal relationship with the consumers even though they may not come face to face ever. Engaging consumers is also an effective way to attract loyal customers to the brand. Since social media interaction with the consumers is paramount, it is only smart for the brand to have a social presence on not only one particular social media platform but as many social media platforms as possible in order to reach out to a large number on consumers.
- Blogging: Updating content regularly and blogging on a daily basis as sure-fire ways to get top ranks in search engines. Writing about how the brand and its products are in relation to the consumers’ interests, hobbies and lives allow the consumers to connect more to the brand as well as helps in building a virtual personal connection between the two. Creating and providing fresh, unique and emotionally connecting blogs regularly is the key to gain natural quality links that will infinitely boost the brand’s online sale.
- Prioritizing visual content: Consumers are more attracted to visual content than textual content. It is also scientifically proven that visual content almost 60,000 more attractive to the human mind than textual information since the latter only involves the use of one sense organ while the former uses two – eyes and ears. Complying with the old saying, “A Picture is worth a thousand words,” incorporating videos and images is an important element while trying to boost website sales. Since search engines like Google are moving away from the usage of backlinks as one of the most essential elements of getting ranked in the search engines, incorporating visual content with links is more effective.
- Minimizing website loading time: In this fast-paced era, an average user waits approximately upto 5 seconds before exiting a website and switching to another. Anything over 8 to 10 seconds of delay increases frustration among the users. This is also because of the swarming numbers of websites that are available over the internet. In this competitive era, making sure that the website does not take long to load is an effective way to ensure that the consumer does not migrate to another site and end up contributing to the website’s business.
- Using the Google Search Console: Determining a brands website page performance from time to time is essential. In order to be able to gauge a website’s performance, it is crucial to gather relevant information on the same. This is where the Google Search Console comes into action. The Google Search Console’s open source tool enables marketers to identify and locate the bugs and errors that are hampering their website’s overall performance and helps in taking corrective measures.
- Encouraging customer reviews: it is important to focus on the usefulness of customer reviews as not only do these reviews act as feedback and help in identifying and correcting errors but also has another bonus use – they can be used as fresh content too. Searching the database for appropriate and relevant product reviews that fit on the category page will increase the amount of sale considerably as such consumer testimonials and reviews act as an authenticity scale for the other consumers. Furthermore, not only do these customer reviews act as a tool to build trust among other customers but also is a smart way to learn and incorporate the same language and keywords that are used by the consumers while searching the internet for a particular product. Marketers are most likely to come across a whole new long-tail keyword while going through the customer reviews which they can use in the future to describe their product. Brands which allow customer reviews on their products have seen almost a 42% hike in their sales.
- Redirecting and deleting expired product pages: Most brands have such products that have expired and most likely will not return to business anymore, in this situation many websites are found to delete those product pages permanently which have an adverse effect on the website as a whole from the SEO point of view. This practice is terrible from the SEO point of view as there most likely are customers who have bookmarked that particular page and they will be now getting an error message, and the website will lose SEO value. The best way to handle such scenarios is,
- Permanently 301 redirecting the URLs of the expired product’s pages since when an expired product page is replaced by a new model it indicates to the search engines that the page intends to be ranked. As a result, SEO value is not lost.
- Redirecting to the parent category page.
- Permanently deleting the expired product’s page, content, and URL using a 410 status code which indicates that the page is gone forever and will never return in future.
In this millennial age, which is driven by rapid optimization and customization, merely securing a position on the first page of the search results is not enough. It is paramount for the brand that their website is listed at the number 1 spot of the first page of search results. The above-mentioned SEO tips are well received and are frequently used by the best SEO experts around the world. These particular tips and tricks do not only help brands to gain a competitive edge among its competitors in the business market but also helps in doubling the profit through an increase in both, sale and conversion rate.